Three Ways to Improve Hygiene Care at Home
Professional-strength teeth whitening is an excellent way to help get the brighter, whiter smile you have always wanted. However, it's important to maintain your results through proper hygiene care at home. Below, dual-trained prosthodontist and cosmetic dentist Dr. Stella Oh reviews three simple ways to ensure optimal outcomes from treatment.
There's no substitute for good oral health habits. Call Madison Avenue Dentists to book an appointment and see why our office is a premier destination for teeth whitening in New York, NY. Our goal is to help you maintain beautiful teeth and gums.
1. Brush and floss
Cavities and tooth decay are common issues but put your teeth whitening results at risk. This is why regular brushing and flossing are essential for preserving your smile. Both remove harmful plaque and food particles from between the teeth and gums while addressing common stains. A mouthwash can also get rid of bacteria and protect against future dental issues.
Here are some ways to make hygiene care more effective:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush: Soft bristles are more likely to prevent enamel erosion and gum recession.
- Try a fluoride-based toothpaste: Fluoride is known to prevent cavities and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Floss around each tooth: Flossing reaches hard-to-reach areas when brushing alone is not enough.
- Get special tools when needed: Interdental brushes, water flossers, and other tools may supplement your routine.
2. Avoid stain-causing food and drinks
Madison Avenue Dentists provides a comprehensive set of options to whiten your teeth by up to several shades. However, some food and drinks can cause discoloration even after successful treatment. It's best to avoid them or consume them in moderation:
- Coffee, tea, and soda: These drinks are dark in color and contain acid that erodes enamel.
- Berries: Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and other fruits with dark pigments stain teeth.
- Wine: Red wine contains tannins that contribute to discoloration.
- Citrus: Citrus fruits like oranges and lemons are acidic and can wear away your natural enamel.
Anyone who has had teeth whitening should also avoid smoking, as the nicotine and tar from tobacco stain your teeth and lead to serious oral health issues.
3. Visit your dentist regularly
Our professional teeth whitening treatments at Madison Avenue Dentists are carried out in under one hour through a prescription-strength gel that whitens the enamel by up to several shades.
Dr. Oh also provides take-home trays that allow you to whiten your teeth at home. These trays are far more effective than traditional over-the-counter kits because they are custom-made to fit your teeth.
A trained cosmetic dentist in New York, NY can help you maintain your oral health after teeth whitening treatment. Dr. Oh knows how to treat existing conditions that could affect your results while promoting long-term oral health.
Enhance your hygiene care after teeth whitening
There’s virtually no better way to ensure your teeth whitening results last than by working with the specialists at Madison Avenue Dentists. Dual-trained prosthodontist and cosmetic dentist Dr. Stella Oh is proud to provide personalized services in New York, NY, from professional-strength whitening treatments to preventive care and beyond. Schedule an oral health appointment and learn more about the steps you can take to maintain your beautiful, white smile.