Denture Care: How Do I Clean Dentures?
- Clean your dentures every day. Cleaning daily with a denture brush and soaking in a cleanser will help keep your dentures looking white and bright while preventing plaque build-up and remove denture odor.
- Remove your denture(s) at least once per day for at least 1 hour. Many patients prefer to sleep without them in place.
- When dentures are not in place, leave them in the air (not in water). Leaving them in mouthwash is likely to discolor them.
- Rinse and brush your dentures in clean warm water with a denture brush.
- Don’t brush too hard; after all, you don’t want to damage any plastic or metal parts of the denture.
- If needed, moisten the denture brush to avoid damages or scratches to the denture surface.
- Brush your gums, tongue, and any natural teeth with a fluoride toothpaste before reinserting your denture. This will help remove plaque from your teeth, stimulate circulation in your mouth, and help maintain good oral health.
- After brushing, rinse with a mouthwash to give your mouth a refreshing feeling.